Family escapes safely as Coddington Road home burns

March 31, 2014

A family in the town of Caroline escaped safely, but their recently built home was a total loss, as an apparent chimney fire spread throughout the Coddington Road house late Sunday night. Tompkins County 911 dispatchers received a call at 10:55pm from a woman saying smoke was filling the house.

The woman told 911 dispatchers she believed they had a chimney fire, and a second call reported flames visible from the house, which is in the Brooktondale fire district. Brooktondale firefighters arrived on the scene just after 11pm to find the house fully involved, and called in mutual aid from neighboring fire departments.

Crews from Ithaca, Slaterville, Danby, Varna, and Candor assisted the Brooktondale Fire Department in fighting the blaze, which was fed by high winds. One of the fire trucks at the scene was damaged by the fire's intense heat.

Firefighters worked for about four hours to extinguish hot spots. An exact cause has not been determined, but an Ithaca Fire Department spokesman believes the wood stove and chimney may have been the cause of the fire.

RECENTLY REVIEWED RESTAURANTS

Papa John's Pizza

4

435 Franklin Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-273-7272

Read the review

Istanbul Turkish Kitchen

4

311 Third Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-345-3333

Read the review