A neighbor noticed a house on Hector Street filling with smoke in time for Ithaca firefighters to save the west hill home from serious damage early Friday evening. The Ithaca Fire Department responded to the scene quickly, and damage to the house was minor.
A house on Hector Street was saved thanks to an alert neighbor. Photo courtesy of IFD.Responding firefighters found a pile of clothes burning on top of an electrical cord in an upstairs bedroom, and quickly extinguished the fire. IFD Lieutenant Thomas T. Basher Jr. says the fire "could have been a lot worse," especially if it occurred while residents were asleep in the home.
IFD says the homeowner returned soon after the fire was out, and there were no injuries on the scene. Basher says electrical cords should be kept clear of any combustible material, and working smoke detectors should be installed on every level of a home.