Accidental chemical combo brings IFD Hazmat Team to Kendal, sends man to hospital

August 9, 2014 by Rachel Cera

A man was taken to the hospital early this morning after he was overcome when an accidental chemical mix created fumes. Authorities believe the man, a maintenance staff member at Kendal at Ithaca, will be OK.

Hazmat crews at Kendal. Photo provided by IFD.Hazmat crews at Kendal. Photo provided by IFD.The on-duty nurse at Kendal, a senior living facility in Cayuga Heights, called for assistance at about 4am Saturday, reporting that a man was having difficulty breathing after changing chemicals in the community pool. The Cayuga Heights Fire Department and Bangs Ambulance responded, and firefighters on the scene called for assistance from Ithaca Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Team.

IFD's Hazmat team determined that the man had been overcome by fumes after he accidentally put chlorine in a container for muriatic acid. Crews ventilated the chemical fumes from the area and determined it was safe for re-entry.

The unidentified staff member was transported to Cayuga Medical Center by Bangs Ambulance personnel. IFD public information officer Lt. Thomas T. Basher Jr. tells 14850 Magazine that he believes the man will be OK, but was unable to provide additional details.t

RECENTLY REVIEWED RESTAURANTS

Red's Place

4

107 North Aurora Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone:

Read the review

Papa John's Pizza

4

435 Franklin Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-273-7272

Read the review