Carelessly discarded cigarette blamed for an early morning fire on Ithaca's northside

September 23, 2015 by Rachel Cera

Lt. Thomas T. basher Jr. of the Ithaca Fire Department says all the occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived on the scene of an early morning fire in the 800 block of North Aurora Street on Wednesday.

The call came in around 5:15 Wednesday morning to alert the Ithaca Fire Department that a fire was burning in the house on Ithaca's northside. Firefighters arrived to find a burning mattress in a first floor bedroom, quickly extinguished it, and removed it from the house.

After the mattress fire was out, firefighters proceeded to search the house to confirm there were no other occupants and to make sure the fire hadn't spread. According to Lt. Basher, the home is a single-family rental dwelling.

Firefighters determined that a carelessly discarded cigarette was the cause of the fire.

For more, follow 14850.com on Facebook and Twitter.

 

 

RECENTLY REVIEWED RESTAURANTS

Wings Over Ithaca

4

335 Pine Tree Road
East Hill Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-256-9464

Read the review

AGAVA Restaurant

4

381 Pine Tree Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-319-4366

Read the review