Two goals in third period preserve a tie for Big Red Women in Tuesday night action at Lynah

November 18, 2015 by Mark H. Anbinder

Cornell women's ice hockey took an early lead in Tuesday night's game against rival Colgate, but the visiting Raiders got on top in the 2nd and led for much of the rest of the game. Two goals for the Red in the third left the icers with a tie.

Now 2-4-2, 1-2-2 in ECAC play, the Big Red travels to Erie, Pennsylvania this weekend for a doubleheader at Mercyhurst, with a 7pm game on Friday and a 2pm game on Saturday. They won't return to action at Lynah Rink until 2016.

Cornell's women celebrate a late goal in Tuesday's game. 14850 Photo by Mark H. Anbinder.Cornell's women celebrate a late goal in Tuesday's game. 14850 Photo by Mark H. Anbinder.Hanna Bunton started the scoring in Tuesday's back-and-forth game less than three minutes into the first period, with an assist by Cassandra Poudrier, and the junior also clanged the puck off the goal pipes in the second. 

Colgate's Cat Quirion tied the game early in the second period, and Annika Zalewski put the Raiders ahead with just over 5 to go. They wouldn't trail again.

The third period saw Cornell freshman Christian Higham tally her first collegiate goal midway through the frame, when classmate Lenka Serdar passed the puck to junior Sydney Smith, and Smith found Higham in the slot, tying the game at 2.

Midway through the third, Bunton got the puck past Rando, but officials on the ice waved it off, and a similar play happened shortly after Colgate took the lead once again. Officials headed into the video replay room three times over the course of the game, upholding a Raiders goal and standing by no-goal calls for the Red twice.

Trailing 3-2 in the waning moments of the third period, Cornell head coach Doug Derraugh pulled netminder Paula Voorheis for an extra attacker, and it paid off. Senior Taylor Woods took advantage of the puck deflecting oddly off the boards as Colgate tried to clear it out of the zone, passing from the right circle to Bunton, who got the pass across the slot to Jess Brown. The senior forward played the puck and snuck it past Raiders goalie Ashlynne Rando to tie the game one last time -- with just 17.6 seconds left in the third.

Both teams had good scoring opportunities in overtime, but the five-minute sudden death bonus frame expired with no change in the score. Each team adds a point in the standings.

For more, follow on Facebook and Twitter.


Wings Over Ithaca


335 Pine Tree Road
East Hill Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-256-9464

Read the review

AGAVA Restaurant


381 Pine Tree Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-319-4366

Read the review